The following is a list of internet resources for Business and Economics students, compiled by our English Teaching Assistants:
Written and Spoken Communication
- Business English: A great place to start looking for business related materials. In this site you will find resources and practice exercises that can help you improve your vocabulary, presentation skills, personal communication, grammar and more.
- Business Students: Tips for Better Writing: brief article about the unique challenges associated with writing business papers.
- Guide to Writing in Economics: Clear and comprehensive resource to help you understand the writing expectations of academic papers. We suggest you to focus on the “6 Principles of Clear, Cohesive and Coherent Writing”.
- Academic style – Writing and speaking academically: Not sure what to include or avoid when writing an academic paper? Check this skill guide created by the University of Melbourne to get started.
- Advisory Zone – Paragraph Improvement: Short videos created by ETAs that will help you learn some strategies to improve your paragraphs.
- Write your business plan: This resource from the U.S. Small Business Administration offers templates to help you learn how to write business plans using two formats.
- How to Write a Business Plan: Resources suggested by the University of Florida Business Library.
- Writing a business plan: This detailed guide by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs lists 10 ways to ruin your business plan.
- Introduction to Syntheses: Find useful techniques for developing synthesis essays.
- Synthesis writing: Check this resource to learn more about the purpose, features and sections of a synthesis.
- A Guide to Synthesizing Sources: Find tips, strategies and word lists to help you write an effective case synthesis.
- Guide to Word and Phrase: Created by ETAs, this guide will help you check if you are using the right vocabulary for your academic and business texts.
- Using vocabulary in business and economics: learn how to use specific business and economics vocabulary including collocations, acronyms, idioms, and metaphors.
- Business dictionary: find definitions, examples and related terms. You can also create your own deck of flashcards and find articles on popular business and economics topics.
- Oxford Dictionary of Business and Management: find the latest terminology, general concepts and theories related to business, management, marketing, organizational behaviour, business strategy, law, taxation and more.
- Cambridge Dictionary Business English: this dictionary contains over 35.000 entries of financial and marketing terms, common abbreviations, workplace expressions and more.
- Business Thesaurus: find alternatives for important business concepts plus some amusing expressions from the business world.
- Economics A-Z terms: find detailed explanations of important economic terms by The Economist.
- Glossary of business terms: great for quick definitions of common financial and economic jargon.
- Business English Study: polish your Business English while learning about famous business models. Through audio and video this site offers case studies from companies like Coca-Cola, Christie’s, Google, Nike and more. Go to the PDF versions to find more on specific vocabulary, grammar points and reading comprehension.
- Infographics and interactive presentations: infographics combine text, images and statistics to help you get an overview of a certain topic. You can use them to facilitate understanding and brainstorming. Simply search a topic (e.g. CSR), take a look at the images and use them as a springboard to continue your exploration. Make sure to check the sources at the bottom to ensure the information is reliable.
- Podcasts are a great way to expand your content knowledge and improve your English.
When listening to podcast try to follow these easy steps:
- Imagine what the episode is about.
- Listen and check if you were right.
- Come up with follow-up questions and share them with a friend/your teacher.
Here are a few for you to start listening to:
- Down to Business English: Business News to Improve your Business English: listen to the latest business news while learning words and phrases commonly used in international business situations.
- Socially Responsible Business Podcasts by the Stanford Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society at Stanford University: a reliable source of information about CSR.
- BBC Business Daily: listen to business stories from one of the largest broadcaster in the world.
- HBR IdeaCast: listen to this weekly podcast featuring prominent figures in business and management from Harvard Business Review.
- TEDTalks – Just like podcasts, TEDTalks are a great way to learn more about your discipline, enhance your vocabulary and learn some good presentation skills. Read our guide to TEDTalks and start listening to:
- The Business Benefits of Doing Good – Wendy Woods
- The Era of Corporate Social Responsibility is Ending – Rachel Hutchisson
- The social responsibility of business – Alex Edmans
- TEDTalk Business